Odessa – Europe’s Best City (#1)
Odessa is Ukraine’s most charming city. Odessa is referred to as the "Pearl of the Black Sea“.
Odessa city has a favorable geographical location. It is situated on the crossing of the most important international routes from Europe to Asia, from Central and Northern Europe to Middle East.
Odessa's mild climate, warm waters and sunlit beaches attract hundreds of thousands of people year around. The average temperature of the coldest month, January, is 0°C, and the hottest, July, +32°C. There is the warmest weather climate in Odessa (among all cities in Ukraine). Its shady lanes, beautiful lightly pastel buildings and cozy squares impart to the city a certain air of intimacy. Odessa is simply enchanting with its marvelous architecture.
Although Odessa has been a sun, surf and relaxation destination for as long as anyone can remember, the city has really caught the buzz as of late. New restaurants, bars, clubs, hotels and resorts keep popping up to meet the demand of enthused tourists and adventurers drawn by this fascinating cultural center nestled right up next to the beach.
Odessa likes the sea. It situates freely along Ukraine shore and nestles very closely. Streets run into the sea like rivers. The Odessa port takes a little space. But the rest - beaches. The popular beaches in order from city center are:
- Lanzheron. The nearest to city center beach. About 25 minutes on foot.
- Otrada. Otrada consists of numerous beaches, almost all of which are fully equipped with bars, waiter service, changing rooms, showers, kid play rooms and various other facilities.
- Chaika (10th Fontana). This Odessa beach, which is located just south of Arcadia, is a standard beach offering various facilities, and small cafes alongside.
- Arcadia. A popular tourist place with a lot of restaurants, bars, discos, night clubs and other entertains.
- Malibu. A beach at Luzanovka (20 minutes from city center). The clearest beach on the sea shore offers exelent service, restaurant, comfortable bungalos, night club, pool hall, parking.
Surfing in Odessa
In Odessa, the third largest city in Ukraine, there are two of the best surf spots in the country. And it can get crowded, every time waves arrive.
Arcadia Beach is the most popular beach in Odessa. The sand break is probably the "capital" of Ukrainian surfing. With favorable southwest wind swells, you'll have fun in longer boards. Remember, you're in Ukraine.
Kometa is a reef break located near Illichivsk, a small town located in the Odessa province. If it's pumping you won't get all the waves for yourself, but you'll end up with a smile on your face. Yes, you've surfed in Ukraine.